Monday, December 5, 2016

Another Reason to Love Rossetti

Today is the wonderful Christina Rossetti's birthday; she is the author of the stunning, challenging poem "Goblin Market," which stars a girl named Laura (not the only reason I revere her work). Here is the poem, one of symbolism, sisterhood, and sensuality: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44996. I'm quite proud that I still have one of the stanzas memorized. I guess if I was less of a derelict, I would memorize the whole poem!

(On a side note, the majority of you know her writing in a different context: "A Birthday," which we read last year to analyze anaphora and diction.)

As you may surmise, I have been a fan of Rossetti since my college days, and since seeing the movie About Adam, which introduced me to "Goblin Market" in all its glory. A few moments ago, my esteem has grown even more and my realization that I need to make a power point about Rossetti for the Scholar Quiz Team Study Guide (join the team if you want to be a part of that opus).

Rossetti composed a poem entitled "On Keats," which I will share with you now!  http://hellopoetry.com/poem/16119/on-keats/ I know you can just imagine my literal jumping for joy, my shrieks of happiness, my sudden need to reread Keats this evening. 

And to make this relative to our class, count the lines and tap out that meter to review your structure and poetry types!




No comments:

Post a Comment