Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Dickens and the Bronte

Between the loss of so many cultural figures in the past days, trying to rewatch all the Supernatural episodes from the very beginning,  and taking care of a recovering Ingram, I have finished up the multiple choice portion of your final exam. In case you were wondering, the first text was Bleak House by Charles Dickens and the third text was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

In exciting news, I did not set the curve for the multiple choice this time around. I guess my lucky desk is not lucky this season. Our high scorer is SU from second hour. Congratulations for your ability to not only comprehend the text but evaluate each author's themes and literary elements.

As a side note, we will be going over the MC portion the day we return from break. At that point, I will remind you of the following items: close read for comprehension and literary elements (you have to read these passages; skimming will not give you enough detail for the questions) and use process of elimination (it sure helps when checking your answers to see if you were close).

Since the MC portion will probably take all hour, your book card for The Cherry Orchard will be due on Friday, January 6. We will not have the opportunity to discuss the play until then.

Lastly, the last three days have seen a trio of stars ascend to the heavens, and even though these are just celebrities on a screen or on a stage, their cultural contributions frequented my childhood.

Listening to my mom rhapsodize about George Michael and incorporate the word "wow" at least fifteen times into a multi-dependent periodic sentence searching for an independent clause reminded me of how she was the Wham! fan that introduced me to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and "Careless Whisper."

Remembering the first movie that I saw in a movie theater three times at age 5 and wanting to be a braided fighting princess in a metal bikini taking on Jabba the Hutt and having the Ewoks as my allies. And at age 11, wanting to order everything "on the side" and having a witty, supportive friend like Marie.

Learning of the great, unsinkable Molly Brown - one of my mom's favorite movies and the first time I saw Debbie Reynolds tear up the floor - and dancing around the living room. And with that note, a little Debbie in her most famous role: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw.

No comments:

Post a Comment